Dr. Michael Joyce received his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Paper and Printing Science from Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo MI.
After receiving his PhD, he accepted and a two year a Post-Doctoral researcher position in the Department of Forest and Biomaterials at North Carolina State University to work with Dr. Lokendra Pal on the development of a natural plastic and its replacement of synthetics for use in barrier coating application.
Upon completion of his work at NCSU, Michael accepted a position as product manager with SNP Inc. to help lead the development and commercialization of new biopolymer-based coatings. Having previously worked on various client-supported coating and printing projects through the Center for the Advancement of Printed Electronics and Center for Ink and Printability at WMU, Michael brings invaluable application and use of coating materials experience to the SNP Inc. product development team.
He holds 1 patent and has 3 patents pending. He has published in the field of surface science, printing technology and flexible electronics. A partial list of his publications is provided below.
- Michael Joyce, et. al., Production of polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA)-based renewable packaging materials using photonic energy: A bench and pilot-scale study, Tappi Journal 17(10):557-5652 (2018).
- Massood Zandi Atashbar, Michael Joyce, Binu Baby Narakathu, Sai Guruva Reddy Avuthu, and Ali Eshkeiti, Helmet impact monitoring system, U.S. Patent Application No. 9,943,128. Awarded April 17, 2018.
- Michael Joyce, et. al., Contribution of Flexo Process Variables to Fine Line Ag Electrode Performance. International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, 3(8): p. 1645-1656. (2014).
- Michael Joyce and Paul Dan Fleming III; “Repulpable Silicone Release Liner”, U.S. Patent Application No. WO2018057451A1.
- Michael Joyce; and Paul Dan Fleming III; “Rapid Method for the Production of PDMS Films”, U.S. Patent Application No. in progress.
- Ali Eshkeiti, Michael Joyce, et. al., “A Novel Self-Supported Printed Flexible Strain Sensor for Monitoring Body Movement and Temperature”, IEEE. (2015).
- Ali Eshkeiti, A.S.G.R., Sepehr Emamian, Binu B. Narakathu, Michael Joyce, Paul D. Fleming, Bradley J. Bazuin, Member, IEEE, and Massood Z. Atashbar, “Screen Printing of Multilayered Hybrid Printed Circuit Boards on Different Substrates”. IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology. (2015).
- Azem K. Yahamed, Michael Joyce, and Paul D. Fleming, “Biopolymers for 3D Printed Bone Structure and Testing”, Paper Presented at Digital Fabrication and Digital Printing/ NIP31, Retrieved October 25, 2015, from Imaging.org.
- Michael Joyce, A.E., Paul D. Fleming III, Alexandra Pekarovicova, Masood Zandi Atashbar, “Self-supported printed multi-layer capacitors”. Journal of Print and Media Technology Research, 4(4): p. 241-316. (2015).
- Jason Kleiner, Michael Joyce, Thomas Joyce. “Low Melting Glass Frit as an Adhesion and Resistivity Promotor: Photonically Sintered Silver Nanoparticle Ink on Indium Tin Oxide Coated Glass.” International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology 5(3): 785-795. (2016).
- Joyce, M.J., Atashbar, M., Eshkeiti, A., Self-supported Sensors, U.S. Patent Application No. 20170213648.
- Michael J Joyce, Lokendra Pal, Gravure in Printed Electronics: Influence of Substrates on Functional Printability, Presented at Gravure Association of the Americas (GAA) 2017 Annual Technical Forum.
- Azem K. Yahamed, Michael Joyce, and Paul D. Fleming, Biopolymers for 3D Printed Bone Structure and Testing, Paper Presented at Digital Fabrication and Digital Printing/ NIP31, Retrieved October 25, 2015, from Imaging.org.
- Michael Joyce, Gravure in Printed Electronics, Presented at Western Michigan University’s 31st Annual Gravure Day, October 19, 2015.